9th English Unit 5 Prose Water The Elixir of Life
9th Standard English Lesson 5 Water – The Elixir of Life Solution
9th Standard English Lesson 5 Prose Unit 5 Prose Water The Elixir of Life Book Back Answers and Additional Questions and answers Download pdf. 9th English Samacheer Kalvi Guide Book in Answers. 9th Standard All Subject Guide Tamil Medium and English Medium. 9th English Important Questions. Class 1 to 12th All Subject Guide.
- elixir (n) – a hypothetical substance believed to maintain life indefinitely/ a substance believed to cure all ills
- billowing (adj.) – characterized by great swelling waves or surges
- teeming (adj.) – abundantly filled especially with living things
- trickling (v) – to flow slowly and with out force
- precipitate (v) – a solid substance that is produced from a liquid during a chemical process
- crust (n) – a hard outer covering of something
- catchment (n) – a structure, such as a basin or a reservoir, used for collecting or draining water
- barges (v) – to hurry through a place in a rude and forceful way
A. Given below are some idioms related to water. Match the idioms with it’s meaning
|1) blood runs thicker than water||a) to criticize or stop something that some people are enthusiastic about|
|2) to be a fi sh out of water||b) naturally, with ease|
|3) dull as dishwater||c) to be active but without making progress or falling farther behind|
|4) as a duck takes to water||d) family members have stronger bligations with each other than with people outside the family|
|5) come hell or high water||e) to be in a difficult situation|
|6 You never miss the water till the well runs dry||f) boring, uninteresting|
|7) pour cold water on something||g) criticism to someone that has no effect on them at all|
|8) tread water||h) People are not grateful for what they have until they lose it|
|9) be (like) water off a duck’s back||i) to be uncomfortable in a particular situation|
|10) to be in deep water||j) no matter what happens|
|Ans : 1 – d, 2 – i, 3 – f, 4 – b , 5 – j, 6 – h, 7 – a, 8 – c, 9 – g, 10 – e|
B. On the basis of the listening passage, choose the correct answer from the given options.
1. Severn Suzuki represents an organization called ECO which stands for __________
- Ecological Cooperation.
- Environmental Coordinating Organization.
- Environmental Children’s Organization.
- Ecological Children’s Organization.
Ans : Environmental Children’s Organization.
2. “I am fighting for my future.” The ‘fight’ refers to her_______
- fight to win an election.
- fight to gain a few points in share market.
- fight against corruption.
- fight against environmental pollution.
Ans : fight against environmental pollution.
3. Animals and fish are becoming extinct because _____
- they have no place to go.
- they die of diseases.
- their food and habitat are polluted.
- all the above.
Ans : their food and habitat are polluted.
4. It is evident that Severn Suzuki is concerned about all other species too as, _______
- she considers them all belonging to one world.
- they have nobody except her to speak for.
- they belong to her.
- they are all children.
Ans : she considers them all belonging to one world.
5. Severn Suzuki condemns the people of her country for ____
- contributing large amounts of waste and not sharing the excess with the needy.
- being afraid of the poor.
- being angry with the poor belonging to other countries.
- being wealthy.
Ans : contributing large amounts of waste and not sharing the excess with the needy.
6. Which of the following statements is not true?
- Canada is a rich country and people have in plenty.
- Canadian children are privileged.
- A Brazilian child was willing to share because she was rich.
- Northen countries will not share with the needy
Ans : A Brazilian child was willing to share because she was rich.
Simple Present Tense
A. Choose the correct form of the present tense verb from the options given.
1. All children __________ something new every day. (learn/ learns/ learned)
Ans : learn
2. A good student always ________ hard. (work / works / worked)
Ans : works
3. Engineers ___________ bridges. (build / builds / built)
Ans : build
4. My sister is an architect. She __________ skyscrapers. (design/ designs / designed)
Ans : designs
5. The Himalayas ______________ India from the cold winds. (protect/ protects/ protected)
Ans : protect
6. It always ________ here in the afternoon. (drizzle / drizzles / drizzled)
Ans : drizzles
7. My mother _____________ in a factory. (work/ works / worked)
Ans : works
8. Chella ________ English very well, but she doesn’t understand Hindi. (speak/ speaks/ spoke)
Ans : speaks
9. Cows __________ us milk. (give/ gives/ gave)
Ans : give
10. The trains to Chennai always _________ on time. (run / runs / ran)
Ans : run
Present Continuous Tense
B. Make sentences in the present continuous tense using the verb given in brackets.
1. Who is that boy ________ on the table? (stand)
Ans : standing
2. What are you __________? (do) I __________ (listen) to music.
Ans : doing / am listening
3. My brother __________ (work) in London now.
Ans : is working
4. I _____________ (wait) for my mother.
Ans : am waiting
5. It is better not to disturb her, she ____________ (work).
Ans : is working
C. What are they doing? Use the verbs below and write sentences.
eat, cry, play, read, sing, watch
Ex. Tom is eating.
- Anu is playing.
- Peter is watching.
- Kalai is crying.
- Sudhan is singing.
- Velu is reading.
D. Write the –ing form of the verbs.
|1. Come – Coming||2. Take – Taking||3. Fly – Flying|
|4. Swim – Swimming||5. Study – Studying||6. Read – Reading|
E. Write negative sentences.
1. He is learning to read.
Ans : He is not learning to read
2. I am having a bath.
Ans : I am not having a bath.
3. I’m reading a fantastic book.
Ans : I’m not reading a fantastic book
4. Raja is driving a new car.
Ans : Raja is not driving a new car.
5. I’m looking for my bag.
Ans : I’m not looking for my bag
F. Write questions for the answers.
1. Are they singing?
No, they aren’t singing.
2. Is she writing a new book?
Yes, she is writing a new book.
3. Is it working?
Yes, it is working.
4. Is he doing the project?
No, he isn’t doing the project.
5. Are you planning to go?
Yes, we are planning to go.
G. Fill in the blanks with verbs in the present continuous.
1. You ___________ (listen) to the music.
Ans : are listening
2. He _______________________ (cry).
Ans : crying
3. I _________ (swim) in the pool.
Ans : am swimming
4. Latha _______ (wait) for her daughter.
Ans : is waiting
5. _________ she ________ (watch) TV?
Ans : Is / watching
6. Who _________ he __________ (help)?
Ans : is / helping
7. Her father ________ (not/cook) dinner.
Ans : is not cooking
8. Akila ___________ (not/sing) a song.
Ans : is not singing
9. My brother ____ (not/do) his homework.
Ans : is not doing
10. ______your mother ____ (work) today?
Ans : Is / working
11. Amutha and Praba _____ (play) tennis.
Ans : are playing
12. Amith and Ravi ___ (not/swim) in the lake.
Ans : are not swimming
Make sentences in the present perfect tense using the verbs in brackets.
1. She ____________ to anybody. (never apologized, has never apologized, have never apologized)
Ans : have never apologized
2. My mother _________________ to London. (has been, being in, have been )
Ans : has been
3. I ___________ all the plays of Shakespeare. (read, had read, have read)
Ans : have read
4. Have you ___________ your lunch? (finish, finished, had finished)
Ans : finished
5. _____________ he brought his bike? (Had, Has, Have)
Ans : Has
Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Make sentences in the present perfect continuous tense using the verbs in brackets.
1. How long __________ ? (are you waiting, have you been waiting, have you waited)
Ans : have you been waiting
2. She ___________ in the garden since morning. (is working, has been working, work)
Ans : has been working
3. I _______________ this mobile for three years. (am using, has used, have been using)
Ans : have been using
4. The children ___________ in the park. (has been playing, have been playing, had been playing)
Ans : have been playing
5. The workers ______ higher wages for a long time. (has been demanding, have been demanding, demand)
Ans : have been demanding
L. Complete the story using the past tense of the verbs.
The Hare and the Tortoise
|1. Knew||2. could||3. was||4. sai|
|5. had||6 . found||7. told||8. hid|
|9. began||10. ran||11. was||12. thought|
|13. decided||14. fell||15. woke up||16. saw|
|17. was||18. was||19. ran||20. couldn’t|
|21. sat||22. got up||23. turned||24. won|
Past Continuous Tense
N. Make sentences in the past continuous tense using the verb in brackets.
1. The children ___________ (wait) for the bus.
Ans : were waiting
2. The girls _______ (learn) their lessons.
Ans : were learning
3. I __________ (play) in the rain all evening.
Ans : was playing
4. Vijay __________ (repair) his car.
Ans : was repairing
5. Hari _____________ (work) hard to pass the entrance examination.
Ans : was working
Past Perfect Tense
Complete the sentences using the past perfect tense.
1. Kalai didn’t complete his homework because ___________.
Ans : he had fallen asleep
2. By the time Sundar got up ________.
Ans : his father had gone out.
3. When we reached the park, __________.
Ans : everyone had left.
4. Saralah didn’t want to see her ___________ .
Ans : because she had deveived her.
5. Manohar was laughing because _____________.
Ans : Balu had fallen into the gutter.
Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Circle the correct verb form in each of the following sentences.
1. Ezhil baked / had been baking a cake when they came.
Ezhil had been baking a cake when they came.
2. Veeran cleaned / had been cleaning the room since morning.
Veeran had been cleaning the room since morning.
3. We worked / had been working in the city for ten years before we moved to the village.
We had been working in the city for ten years before we moved to the village.
4. The cat had been waiting / was waiting for the mice to come out of the hole.
The cat had been waiting for the mice to come out of the hole.
5. Kanan had been looking / have been looking for a job for a long time.
Kanan had been looking for a job for a long time.
Simple Future Tense
Q. Complete the sentences using the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1. We hope you ___________ (have) a great time in Ooty
Ans : will have
2. I think Manju ____________ (visit) her grandparents during the vacation.
Ans : will visit
3. Be careful, that mirror ______ (fall) on the floor.
Ans : will fall
4. As soon as my father arrives, we ___________ (go) to watch the film.
Ans : shall go
5. When your train arrives, I __________ (wait) for you at the station.
Ans : will wait
Future Continuous Tense
Make sentences in the future continuous tense using the verb in brackets.
1. Ashwin __________ (complete) M.B.A. in another two years.
Ans : will be completing
2. I ____________ (go) to Thanjavur by this time tomorrow.
Ans : shall be going
3. Prabha __________ (receive) the best student award in six months’ time.
Ans : will be receiving
4. The plane _______ (leave) at 3 o’clock.
Ans : will be leaving
5. He _________ (attend) the conference.
Ans : will be attending