12th Chemistry Important 1 Marks Hydroxy compounds & Ethers
One Mark Study Material Unit wise as per reduced syllabus (2021-22)
TN 12th Chemistry Important 1 Marks Hydroxy compounds & Ethers. 12th Chemistry Important Questions Chapter 11. +2 Chemistry Important 2 Marks, 3 Marks, 5 Marks Questions Based on reduced Syllabus 2021-2022. 12th Free Online Test (MCQs). HSC 12th Chemistry Revision Test Important Questions. 12th Tamil Full Guide.
Hydroxy compounds & Ethers:
- 1. The major product obtained when Phenol reacts with Con.H2SO4 at 280K is o – phenol sulphonic acid.
- 2. In the preparation of ether by Williamson synthesis using primary alkyl halide involves: SN2 Mechanism
- 3. On heating phenol with phthalicanhydride in presence of concentrated sulphuric acid Phenolphthalein is obtained.
- 4. On treating phenol with Chloroform & Sodium hydroxide it gives Salicylaldehyde
- 5. When ethane1,2,-diol is reacted with conc.H2SO4 it forms 1,4,-dioxane
- 6. When glycerol reacts with KHSO4 or P2O5 dehydration takes place and the product formed is Acrolein
- 7. When phenol react with benzenediazonium chloride in an alkaline solution to form
p-hydroxyazobenzene (a red orange dye)
- 8. When an alcohol is treated with DMSO and Oxalyl chloride and followed by the addition of triethylamine it gives propanone such oxidation reaction is called as Swern Oxidation reaction
- 9. When phenol reacts with benzoyl chloride in the presence of NaOH to form sodium benzoate such reaction is called as Schotten – Baumann reaction.
- 10. Write the IUPAC name of this C6H5-O-CH2-CH-(CH3)2 Ans. 2-methyl-1-propoxy benzene.
- 11. Write the IUPAC name of this CH2=CH-CH2-CH2OH Ans. But-3en-1-ol
- 12. IUPAC name of neopentyl alcohol is 2,2,dimethyl propan1-ol
- 13. IUPAC name of Glycerol is Propane -1,2,3 – triol.
- 14. Functional group of ether is represented by R-O-R
- 15. General formula of ether is CnH2n+2 O
- 16. Simple ether formula example is CH3-O-CH3, C2H5-O-C2H5, C6H5-O-C6H5
- 17. Mixed ether formula example is C6H5-O-CH3, C2H5-O-CH3
- 18. Diethyl ether used as a refrigerant, volatile starting fluid for diesel and gasoline engine, surgical anesthetic agent in surgery.
- 19. Arrange this compounds in increasing order of their acid strength. Propan-1-ol, 2,4,6, trinitrophenol, 3-nitrophenol, 3,5,dinitrophenol, phenol, and 4-methyl phenol Ans. Propan-1-ol < 4-methyl phenol < Phenol < 3-nitro phenol < 3,5, dinitrophenol < 2,4,6, trinitrophenol.
- 20. Write the IUPAC name of CH3-CH2-O-(CH2)3-CH3 Ans. Ethoxy butane
- 21. Write the IUPAC name of CH2=CH-O-CH2-CH=CH2 Ans. 3-(ethonoxy) prop-1-ene
- 22. Write the IUPAC name of (CH3)3-C-O-C=(CH3)3 Ans. 2-(tertbutoxy)-2-methylpropane
- 23. On reacting with neutral ferric chloride phenol gives Violet Color
- 24. Ethane-1,2-diol is used as antifreeze automobile radiators.
- 25. Glycol on heating with periodic acid gives Methanol
- 26. Isopropyl benzene on air oxidation in the presence of dilute acid gives C6H5OH
- 27. 1 mole of an organic compound (A) with the formula C3H8O reacts completely with 2 moles of HI to form X & Y. When Y is boiled with aqueous alkali it forms Z. Z answers iodoform test. The compound (A) is methoxy ethane
- 28. When methyl alcohol react with hot HI? the answer is (CH3)3C-O-CH3
- 29. Phenol is more reactive than benzene towards electrophilic substitution reaction.(Assertion) In the case of phenol, the intermediate arenium ion is more stabilized by resonance (reason) Ans. Both assertion and reason are true and reason is the correct explanation of assertion
- 30. Phenol is more acidic than ethanol (Assertion) Phenoxide ion is resonance stabilized Ans. Both assertion and reason are true and reason is the correct explanation of assertion
- 31. C2H5OH + 𝑃𝑐𝑙5 → X + alc.KOH → Y + H2SO4/H2O → Z Ans Ethanol
- 32. In substituted phenols, the electron withdrawing group such as -NO2, -Cl enhances the acidic nature of phenol especially when they are present at ortho & para position.
- 33. In Phenols –OH group is directly attached to a benzene ring. The carbon bearing the
–OH group is sp2 hybridized.
- 34. Write the IUPAC name of Orcinol is 3,5, dihydroxy toluene.
- 35. Ethanol used as substitute for petrol under the name Power alcohol used as a fuel for aero plane.
- 36. Glycerol used as a sweetening agent in confectionary and beverages.
- 37. Glyceraldehyde and dihydroxy acetone mixture is named as Glycerose
- 38. Glycerol react with Con.HNO3 in the presence of Con.H2SO4 to form
- 39. When ethane-1,2,diol heated to 773K it forms epoxides (or) 1,2,epoxyethne (or) Oxirane.
- In the oxidation reaction at the aldehyde / ketone stage to stop pyridinium chlorochromate (PCC) oxidizing agent is used.
- 41. In Victor Meyer’s test Primary alcohol gives Red Color (Formula CH3-C-(NO2)=NOK)
- 42. In Victor Meyer’s test Secondary alcohol gives Blue Color(Formula (CH3 )2-C-(NO2)2)
- 43. Lucas reagent is the mixture of Concentrated HCl & anhydrous ZnCl2.
- 44. In tertiary butyl alcohol react with Lucas reagent give Turbidity immediately (fast reaction)
- 45. In secondary alcohol (Propan-2-ol) react with Lucas reagent give slow appearance of turbidity
- 46. The alkaline hydrolysis of these fats gives glycerol and the reaction is known as
- 47. The relative reactivity’s of alcohols in the dehydration reaction follows the order is
primary < secondary < tertiary.
- 48. Oxidation of glycerol with bismuth nitrate gives meso oxalic acid
- 49. Phenol undergoes oxidation with air or acidified K2Cr2O7 with Conc. H2SO4 to form
- 50. When phenol nitration with Conc.HNO3 + Conc,H2SO4 gives Picric acid (2,4,6, trinitro phenol)